What does a Photographer do
Photographers tell stories through images. They use their technical skills to capture these images. Through photographic techniques and lighting equipment, photographers are able to capture images in a quality capacity. They are able to enhance the subject’s appearance using artificial and natural light. They are used to help market or advertise services to potential clients. They also know how to plan what subjects should be in a photograph.
Types of Photographers
• Portrait photographers: they take photos of individuals or groups of people at weddings, religious events, school photographs or any other setting. They may work on location or at studios.
• Commercial and industrial photographers: their work may entail taking photos of buildings, artifacts, models, merchandise, and landscapes.
• Aerial photographers: they use airplanes and helicopters to capture images of buildings and landscapes.
• Scientific photographers: they capture and present images in their actual form without using software to enhance them. They record medical and scientific data.
• News photographers: they take pictures of people, places and events for the purpose of news. These images are used on television, in journals, newspapers, and magazines.
• Fine arts photographers: they use their creativity and artistic skills to take photographs which they later sell as artwork.
• University photographers: they are general photographers for colleges, universities and other institutions. They sometimes take photographs for press releases and on various occasions record or document school events.
Steps to becoming an Accountant
• Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) program: it is offered by Professional Photographers of America to photographers who have shown ability to learn new techniques and skills, and have knowledge and valuable experience in photography.
• Forensic Photography & Imaging Certification: it is granted by the International Association for Identification to individuals who have been active photographers working in the discipline of forensic science.
• Registered Biological Photographer Program (RBP): it is managed by the Bio Communications Association and was started as a means of assessing professionals in biological photography.
Important skills for photographers
• Artistic ability: because their tell stories via images, they must be able to determine the artistic quality of a photo. They need the skills to use colors, shades, light, shadows and distance to produce good photographs.
• Business skills: they are required to seek out prospective clients, look forward to seasonal employment opportunities and have marketing strategies.
• Computer skills. They need knowledge in computers so as to make use of different software available for photographers and to create a digital portfolio.
• Customer-service skills: they need to be able to understand their clients’ requests and handle any problems that there might be.
• Detail oriented: they must be very keen when editing photographs to avoid erasing important details. Also, because they tend to have many photographs at a go, they must maintain them in an orderly manner.
• Interpersonal skills. In most cases, photographers take images of people. Therefore, they must communicate effectively to obtain photographs with certain compositions.