What does a Computer Programmer do?
Computer Programmers write programs in different computer languages. They test programs and applications to ensure that they run as expected. If there are any mistakes or errors in the code, they fix them. They also update and expand existing computer programs.
They use an integrated development environment (IDE) which lets them write, edit and test code. In most cases, computer programmers work together with software developers in the designing of programs. Program design includes creating flowcharts that show how the code will be written, designing a systems interface, and writing / debugging code.
Types of Computer Programmers
• System Programmers: they are more specialized in writing operating system software.
• Application programmer: they write programs in languages that are closer to English. These programs are written for end-users; examples include word processors.
• Game Programmer: they write computer games and code that influences the graphics of computer games.
• Web programmers: they design websites and applications within websites.
Steps to becoming a Computer Programmer
Computer Programming Related Certifications
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD): it’s given to developers who understand the different Microsoft languages and can use them to design enterprise solutions. MCSD offers up to 6 certifications.
• Certified Secure Software Lifecycle Professional (CSSLP): it is offered by (ISC)² to any individual in the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC); from software architects to penetration testers.
• C / C++ Certification: it is given by the C+ + Institute to IT professionals, programming specialists and software developers around the world. It offers two paths to certification; the C+ + and the C programming language paths.
• ACE (Adobe Certified Expert) for Developers: it’s for developers who have experience creating and maintaining applications using APIs, Adobe tools and Adobe platforms.
• Google Apps Administrator Certification: it is recommended for Google Apps domain managers. They are required to have at least 6 months experience managing domains with 50 or more users.
Important Skills for a Computer Programmer
• Concentration: their work entails writing code, a process that may take a long time. They’ll need strong concentration abilities to be able to succeed at their jobs.
• Analytical skills: they must read, analyze and understand instructions which they’ll follow to write and create code.
• Troubleshooting skills: they must be able to identify errors in programs and fix them.
• Detail oriented: they must be keen when writing code and thoroughly examine it to ensure that it is correct and that it is error-free so that it doesn’t affect the entire program.